By Swami Harshananda
Sometimes transliterated as: Kalanirnaya, KalanirNaya, Kalanirnaya
Mādhava-Vidyāraṇya lived in A. D. 1296- 1386. He was the founder-saint of the Vijayanagara empire. He was a scholar of extra-ordinary brilliance. One of his well-known works is the Kalanirṇaya. It is a treatise on the definition of time and determination of suitable periods for religious occasions.
The work is in five prakaraṇas or chapters. The contents may be briefly stated as follows:
- Scholastic disquisition on kāla or time
- The year and its sub divisions
- Intercalary months and religious acts permitted or forbidden during those months
- Pure and mixed tithis
- Determination of the various nakṣatras for religious acts
The work names numerous sages, purāṇas, astronomical and astrological writers and their works.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore