By Swami Harshananda
Sometimes transliterated as: Raktacamunda, RaktacAmuNDA, Raktacaamundaa
Aspects of Divine Mother
There are several aspects of the Divine Mother of which Raktacāmuṇdā is also the one. The Candl or Durgāsaptaśati states that Mother Durgā gave the name Cāmuṇḍā to Kālī, who destroyed the two demons Caṇḍa and Muṇḍa.
Characteristics of Raktacamuṇḍa
Raktacamuṇḍa is sometimes known as Yogeśvarī also. In her formless aspect, she is the power pervading the whole world. Her form is described thus:
- She is red in color.
- She wears yellow garments and bejeweled ornaments.
- She has a garland of severed human heads.
- The crescent moon adorns her crest.
- In her four hands she holds a sugarcane bow, arrow, discus and a lotus.
- She is invoked for destroying one’s enemies.
- Divine Mother is the Śakti or Pārvatī.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore