From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Sometimes transliterated as: Suryanarayana, SuryanArAyaNa, Suryanaaraayana
Characteristics of Suryanārāyaṇa
- He is a Vedic deity.
- He is invoked in the solar orb at the time of the sandhyā ritual.
- He is visualized as seated on a lotus-seat and is of golden color.
- He has a beautiful crown on his head, armlets and ear-rings in the form of makaras.
- He holds the śaṅkha and cakra in his hands.
- Makaras means crocodiles.
- Śaṅkha means conch.
- Cakra means discus.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore