From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Duties of a Suta
A suta was one who was born to a kṣattriya father and a brāhmaṇa mother. His occupation was to:
- Drive the chariot of the king
- Cook for the king
- Take care of king's elephants and horses
- Tender king with suitable advice on kingly duties
- Serve the brāhmaṇas
- Maintain the vaṅśavṛkṣa of kings
- Practice as a vaidya after getting duly qualified
- Vaṅiśavṛkṣa means pedigrees.
- Vaidya means doctor.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore