From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Yogavighnas literally means ‘hindrances to yoga’.
Yogavighnas, obstacles and hindrances to yoga are many and varied. They have been listed by some works such as:
- Bhoga - enjoyment
- Dharma - ritualism
- Jñāna - intellectual knowledge
- Divāsupti - sleeping during daytime
- Viṣamāsanadoṣa - defects of āsanas
- Sanśaya - doubts
- Pramattatā - conceit
- Ālasya - laziness
- Nidrā - excessive sleep
- Bhrānti - anomalous understanding
- Strīlaulya - sexuality
- Mṛgatṛṣṇā - illusory and vain desires
- Yoga means concentration and meditation leading to God-realization or liberation.
- Śivasamhitā 5.1
- Yogakundali Upaniṣad 1.56 to 61
- Yogatattva Upaniṣad 30, 31
- He lived in 200 B.C.
- Yogasutras 1.30 and 31
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore