From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
Revision as of 06:03, 26 March 2011 by HindupediaSysop (Adding glossary defn)
- causer of fear; maker of fearful noise
- fearsome; frightening; awesome; terrible; formidable; destroyer of fear
- the terrible and dark aspect of Śiva; the collective name for the personified aspects or manifestations of Śiva who are 8 in number, namely: Kāla Bhairava, Asitāńga Bhairava, Sańhāra Bhairava, Ruru Bhairava, Krodha Bhairava, Kapāla Bhairava, Rudra Bhirava and Unmatta Bhairava (T. Śāstra); a rāga of the early-morning and also a ţhāţ (parent scale) in Indian classical music, traditionally attributed to and associated with Śiva; a son of Śiva by the queen Tārāvatī of Karavirapura (M.Bh.); an epithet for an advanced adept/ guru of Tantra; a general epithet for Śiva, specially in Tantrik literature. (fem: bhairavī:)
- the (terrible or fearsome) consort of Bhairava;
- a name for Durgā and Kālī; the female attendants or companions of Durgā or Kālī; an evening rāginī and also a ţhāţ (parent scale) in Indian Classical music.