California standards on Hinduism and India for Grade 6
From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
Revision as of 19:15, 19 November 2017 by Krishna Maheshwari
The California State Assembly last updated the history social science standards in 1998. In the 6th grade, they include the following for India & Hinduism:
- Grade 6 history social science content standards
- Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the early civilizations of India.
- Locate and describe the major river system and discuss the physical setting that sup-ported the rise of this civilization.
- Discuss the significance of the Aryan invasions.
- Explain the major beliefs and practices of Brahmanism in India and how they evolved into early Hinduism.
- Outline the social structure of the caste system.
- Know the life and moral teachings of Buddha and how Buddhism spread in India, Ceylon, and Central Asia.
- Describe the growth of the Maurya empire and the political and moral achievements of the emperor Asoka.
- Discuss important aesthetic and intellectual traditions (e.g., Sanskrit literature, including the Bhagavad Gita; medicine; metallurgy; and mathematics, including Hindu-Arabic numerals and the zero).