Talk:Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha
The Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) is a socio-spiritual Hindu organization with its roots in the Vedas. It was revealed by Bhagwan Swaminarayan in the late 18th century and established in 1907 by Shastriji Maharaj. Founded on the pillars of practical spirituality, BAPS reaches out far and wide to address the spiritual, moral and social challenges and issues we face in our world. Its strength lies in the purity of its nature and purpose. BAPS strives to care for the world by caring for societies, families and individuals. This is done by mass motivation and individual attention, through elevating projects for all. Its work has received many national and international awards and affiliation with the United Nations. Today, a million or more Swaminarayan followers begin their day with puja and meditation, lead upright, honest lives and donate regular hours in serving others. No Alcohol, No Addictions, No Adultery, No Meat, No Impurity of body and mind are their five lifetime vows. Such pure morality and spirituality forms the foundation of the humanitarian services performed by BAPS.
- International Centers
- 3,300 centers in India, USA, UK, Europe, Africa, Pacific, Middle East
- 7,215 weekly assemblies for men and women, youths and teenagers
- 5,400 weekly assemblies for children
- Worldwide Volunteers
- 55,000 volunteers
- 12,000,000 annual volunteer-hours in service
- Moral & Cultural Activities
- 630,000 annual satsang assemblies
- 34 million visitors to cultural festivals in India, UK, USA, Africa
- 554,790 students have appeared in the international cultural examinations
- Medical Activities
- 8 hospitals and healthcare clinics
- 415,000 patients treated annually
- 76 medico-spiritual conferences have enlightened over 20,000 doctors
- Educational Activities
- 31 permanent educational institutions annually serve 11,000 students
- Over 5,000 scholarships awarded annually
- 55 schools built in disaster-hit regions
- Environmental Activities
- Millions of trees and shrubs planted in thousands of villages
- Thousands of water conservation projects in hundreds of villages
- Thousands of tonnes of paper collected for recycling annually
- Social Activities
- 33 disaster relief operations successfully managed
- 50,000 family inspired to hold daily Family Assemblies
- Over two million people inspired to quit addictions
- Tribal Activities
- 800 permanent centres for tribal uplift
- Thousands of tribal families have quit addictions and superstitions
- 9 mobile medical clinics treat 250,000 tribal villagers annually
- Spiritual Activities
- Over 700 BAPS mandirs worldwide
- Thousands of pilgrims visit BAPS mandirs daily
- Over 800 sadhus
Aims & Objectives
The socio-spiritual activities of the BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha aims to inspire a better and happier individual , family and society. Through its 170 spiritual and humanitarian activities it endeavors to:
- one and all towards a better way of life through the humanitarian values of service, purity, discipline, love, tolerance, harmony, ...
- its on-going efforts against dowry, smoking, drugs, alcohol and other destructive addictions.
- harmony and peaceful coexistence among all communities through understanding and co-operation.
- constructive and creative youth and children's activities to channelise their energy, promoting education and social services.
- the roots of Indian Culture and all the good that it stands for.
- Bhagwan Swaminarayan (1781 - 1830 CE)
- Gunatitanand Swami (1785 - 1867 CE)
- Bhagatji Maharaj (1829 - 1897 CE)
- Shastriji Maharaj (1865 - 1951 CE)
- Yogiji Maharaj (1892 - 1971 CE)
- Pramukh Swami Maharaj (1921 - )
Bhagwan Swaminarayan actively propagated social reforms in India more than two centuries ago, and that tradition has been carried on by his spiritual successors. Today, Pramukh Swami Maharaj, the spiritual head of BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, personally examines the details of socially beneficial projects and activities.
From recycling millions of cans in London to recharging wells in rural India; From campaigning against harmful addictions to providing pure herbal medicines; From building and maintaining beautiful permanent structures such as the famous Swaminarayan Hindu Mandir (London) to setting up large platforms for single-day conventions; From organizing cultural festivals attended by millions to inspiring individuals to lead a morally pure life; from providing free education to giving extensive career guidance... BAPS believes that social change can come only if people join in and contribute voluntary effort towards removing society's ills.
All of the activities detailed in this site are but small examples of the vast contribution the organization is making in all spheres of life - moral, spiritual, cultural, educational, environmental and social, all over the world.