Difference between revisions of "Vāmadeva"
From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
Revision as of 05:33, 3 December 2016
By Swami Harshananda
Sometimes transliterated as: Vamadeva, VAmadeva, Vaamadeva
Attributes of Sage Vāmadeva
Vāmadeva is a sage well-known in the Upaniṣads. He is described in various upanisads as follows:
- The Aitareya Upaniṣad says he had realized the ātman even while in the womb of his mother.
- The Brhadāranyaka Upaniṣad declares that the sage Vāmadeva realized Brahman and hence his identity with Manu and Surya.
- The Rāma-purvatāpanī Upaniṣad describes that Rāma was worshiped by great sages like Vasiṣṭha and Vāmadeva.
- According to the Śivapurāṇa he learnt about Praṇava from Kumārasvāmi and taught it to other sages.
- Ātreya was his disciple.
Aspects of Vāmadeva
Vāmadeva is also one of the five aspects of Śiva.
- Aitareya Upaniṣad 2.1.5
- Brhadāranyaka Upaniṣad 1.4.10
- Rāma-purvatāpanī Upaniṣad 6.16
- Kailāsakhanda 11.12
- Kumārasvāmi is Saṇmukha or Subrahmaṇya.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore