From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
Revision as of 12:37, 9 November 2016 by Deval Sancheti
By Swami Harshananda
Different Inferences of Vibhuti or Vibhutis
- Vibhuti or vibhut is is another name for bhasma, the holy ash smeared on the forehead and other parts of the body by the śaivas.
- The word is also used in the sense of special or extraordinary powers of God, or the siddhis, the yogic powers that a yogi gains as a result of samyama on various objects.
- The tenth chapter of the Bhagavadgītā is called Vibhutiyoga.
- The third chapter of the Yogasutras of Patañjali has been named Vibhutipāda.
- He lived in 200 A. C.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore