From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Ṛbhus literally means ‘those who shine brilliantly’.
Characteristics of These Rbhus
- By performing good deeds and helping the gods in heaven they became dear to these gods.
- Being disciples of Tvaṣṭā, they had also become experts in the technical field.
- They built a chariot for Indra and a camasa for Agni.
- Through their mental powers they created two excellent horses for Indra’s chariot.
- They successfully restored youth to their own parents.
- By following the path of truth, they shone brilliantly and were endowed with tremendous powers to achieve whatever they wanted. That is why they were raised to the level of gods and were given a share in the offerings by Prajāpati himself.
- They receive the soma juice during the tṛtīyasavana in the Somayāgas.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore