From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
(Redirected from Kalpasutras)
By Swami Harshananda
Kalpasutra literally means ‘treatises dealing with practical aspects’.
The Kalpa or the Kalpasutra is one of the six Vedāṅgas or subsidiary treatises that help in conducting Vedic sacrifices. ‘Kalpa’ means prayoga or the practical methods.
The Kalpasutra belong to a period later to the Upaniṣads. The work has four sub-branches which are:
- Śrautasutra - Vedic sacrifices.
- Gṛhvasutra - domestic rites and rituals.
- Dharmasutra - Varṇāśrama dharmas.
- Sulbasutra - Construction of the altars for Vedic sacrifices.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore