From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Kapisthala-Kāthaka-Samhitā is the Samhitā of the Kṛṣṇa Yajurveda group. The only manuscript available is incomplete. Its svara system resembles that of the Ṛgveda. It has 64 chapters spread over 8 aṣṭakas. The following are the details as available now:
- First Aṣtaka: It is complete with eight chapters.
- Second Aṣṭaka: It is damaged and incomplete.
- Third Aṣṭaka: Chapters 9 to 24 have been lost.
- Forth Aṣṭaka: Chapters 25 to 31 are intact. Chapter 32 is lost. Chapter 27 is the famous Rudrādhyāya.
- Fifth Aṣṭaka: All chapters except the 33rd have been recovered.
- Sixth Aṣṭaka: The 43rd Chapter has been lost. The rest seven chapters are available.
The contents are similar to the other Samhitās of this Veda.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore