From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Pañcabhutaliṅgas literally means ‘Śivaliñgas connected with the five bhutas or elements’.
Pañcabhutas of Pañcabhutaliṅgas
Pañcabhutas are the five fundamental elements out of which the whole material world is created. They are:
Classification of Śivaliṅgas
The Śivaliṅgas in some well-known places of pilgrimage are said to be closely associated with these five. They are:
- Pṛthviliṅga at Kāñcipuram in Tamil Nadu
- Abliṅga at Jambukeśvara in Tamil Nadu
- Tejoliñga at Aruṇācala in Tamil Nadu
- Vāyuliṅga at Kālahasti in Andhra Pradesh
- Ākāśaliṅga at Cidambaram in Tamil Nadu
The exact reason for this classification is not known.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore