From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Rātri literally means ‘One who gives rest or happiness’.
- The benevolent goddess ruling over night is the sister of Uṣas.
- She is of Ṛgvedic antiquity.
- She is described as wearing black robes studded with glittering stars.
- She is invoked for warding off the threat of darkness like robbers, reptiles, wild animals and wicked spirits.
- Uṣas means dawn.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore