By Swami Harshananda
Religion has always considered dharma as a basic value which must cover all the individual and social aspects of life. Dharmasutra literature is one of the earliest classes of scriptures dealing with dharma.
Significance of Gautama Dharmasutras
The Dharmasutras of Gautama has been considered quite ancient (600-400 A.C.) infact the oldest and authoritative dharmasutra work. It has been held in high esteem by the later writers of dharmaśāstras.
Gautam Dharmasutra Era
Aspects of Gautama Dharmasutras
The Gautama Dharmasutras is written entirely in prose and has 28 chapters. A brief summary of the contents can now be attempted:
- Sources of dharma
- Details of the upanayana sacrament
- The four āśramas
- Rules concerning marriage and the duties of a householder
- The pañcamahāyajñas or the five daily sacrifices
- The duties of the four varṇas
- Rājadharma or the duties and responsibilities of a king
- Crime and punishment
- Rules concerning law-suits
- Śrāddhas or obsequial ceremonies
- Rules regulating food and eating
- On women
- Sins and their expiations
- Partition of property and related matters
Commentaries on Gautama Dharmasutra
- Dharma was the foundational morality and ethics.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore