From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Vyādhi literally means ‘disease’.
Āyurveda or the science of health and longevity, categorizes vyādhi or roga into four groups:
- Āgantuka - coming from external sources or accidents
- Śārīra - arising in the body due to the disturbance of the balance of the three humours viz., kapha, vāta and pitta
- Mānasa - of the mind, due to jealousy, anger, lust and so on
- Svābhāvika - natural due to hunger, thirst, old-age, sleep etc.
These diseases may be caused by improper lifestyle and also by the karma of the previous lives.
- ↑ Roga means disease.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore